Friday, August 17, 2007

Bibliophile Extraordinaire

Ok, I swear this is my last post that has anything to do with Vogue but I couldn't help but mention an interesting article and video on Men's Vogue about bibliophile extraordinaire, Sophie Dahl, pictured above. About the only thing Sophie and I have in common is a love of books and now, a love of first editions. Sophie is a model and the grand-daughter of the famous children's author Roald Dahl. You might have heard of one of his books, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Why couldn't have born into a famous family like that?! Anyway, you can read about her love of books and also watch her visit Bauman Rare Books in New York on the Men's Vogue website.

As an avid book collector, I also wanted to mention a great new website that I just discovered, First Edition Points. Before I buy any vintage or out of print book, I do extensive research online and this website has made that research so much easier! Even if I can't afford to buy a first edition, I like to know what one looks like. You never know when you might run across one in a flea market or thrift shop. I also like to know so I don't get fooled into buying a misrepresented or Book Club edition on eBay!

So the next time you are about to buy an old book, you might want to check out a first edition. It won't turn you into a model but it might turn you into a bibliophile extraordinaire!

10 comments:

dianamuse said...

You're so funny with the Vogue obsession thing.

Thanks for this excellent post!! A descendant of Roald Dahl accessible (sort of) right her in blogland? Love it. (Earlier this week, my kids and I were listening to a favorite audiobook recording of Fantastic Mr. Fox--narrated by Mr. Dahl himself.) At any rate, I think your blog is great. May I provide a link to you on mine?

Brilliant Asylum said...

Sophie Dahl and Roald Dahl both have such interesting stories. She is also the grandaughter of Patricia Neal, the matronly interior decorator in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

My husband collects first editions, so thanks for the pointers on how to buy him a nice christmas gift.

Habitually Chic said...

Dianamuse, thanks for the lovely comments. I would love a link. Thanks.

Habitually Chic said...

Brilliant Asylum,

Sophie is connected to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Breakfast at Tiffany's?! Now I'm really jealous! What a family!

p.s. I think books make the best presents! You're husband is very lucky to have such a thoughtful wife!

katiedid said...

I can see you are going to be my "Go To Girl" for all the latest haps in NYC! I look forward to your posts!:)

The Peak of Chic said...

Many thanks for this source!!! I love seeking out first editions- a fun, but at times expensive, habit!

kcdesign said...

This is a great resource. I saved this article, too, but for the quote from The Velveteen Rabbit at the end. I might have discreet cards printed for my friends who seem to be becoming a little maintenance obsessed.

ALL THE BEST said...

From one book lover to another, thanks for the great post.

Habitually Chic said...

I love that there are so many other book lovers out there in blogland!

when pigs fly said...

My husband's great uncle was a first edition collector. Too bad the mistress got the books and bronzes and the family got the rest. Considerably less in my opinion. I know the family. I would have to have met the mistress!

Related Posts with Thumbnails