Monday, August 6, 2007

California Dreamin

Everyone seems to think I would hate LA but how bad could a place be that has given us Kelly Wearstler and has weather so nice you can wear flip flops year round? Kelly originally designed Trina Turk's first store and I think you can see a hint of her influence in Trina and her husband Jonathan Skow's LA home.

The vintage outdoor furniture has custom cushions made in a Trina Turk print and the 1948 Edward Wormley sofas share space in the living room with 1956 Richard Neutra cocktail table.

The house was built in the 1940's by J.R. Davidson , one of the great Case Study architects, and Trina and Jonathan are only the third owners! Renovations were kept to a minimum but the decorating went out full tilt!

The master bedroom's vintage Lane bureau, cloisonne jars and lamp are from Lawson-Fenning while the vintage furnishings in the guest room below include a Widdicomb chest of drawers and a Karl Springer side table.

I love how the house has that sense of sophisticated modern/vintage glamour reminiscent of Kelly Wearstler's designs without the over the top kitsch factor of Jonathan Adler, the designer of Trina's new stores. If all houses in LA were this chic, I think I would like it there just fine!

Photos by Roger Davies

10 comments:

Sarah Jennings said...

Although it is not strictly my taste, I love the architecture of the house...look at all of those glorious windows! Great post.

Habitually Chic said...

Thanks Sarah! I love when someone can appreciate good art or design, even if it isn't there style.

By the way, I checked out your blog and I love it, esp. The Devil Wears Prada post! I am definitely going to have to add you as a link!

ALL THE BEST said...

I just love these images. The living room and the pool are fantastic. Bring back the cocktail hour!

Suzy said...

I remember the feature on this house, although I don't think I could live in it either, she has an amazing collection of furniture. If I remember correctly she had a set of Billy Haines slipper chairs that I would kill for!

Cote de Texas said...

Who could hate LA? And, I'm sorry you're not Lindsey! You should meet her, she's single, lives in NYC, and works for a VERY, VEDDY important designer. But, Lindsey is from Texas, though. Not sure how that would mesh with your home state. ??

Mucho loving your blog.
Joni

katiedid said...

California has it's share of excellent design, and you have found a prime example! I love this house and all of the personally thought out peices that furnish it.

Great job on the blog! I am enjoying it very much!

Mélanie said...

This house is wonderful . This 40's ambiance is so chic !!!
I love it.
Mélanie xxx

Habitually Chic said...

Thanks for all the great comments!

To Cote de Texas, I'm from Pennsylvania originally so I hope you don't hold that against me ;-)

Maybe Lindsey and I could get little group of New York interior designers together and form a little club. We could hold cocktail parties and discuss design. Lol.

ALL THE BEST said...

Where in Pennsylvania? All of my husband's family is from PA and we lived there 5 years.

Habitually Chic said...

All the Best, I grew up in Southwestern Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh. I don't want to give too much away so if that's near where you lived, email me and I'll tell you the exact town ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails