Thursday, August 16, 2007

In Vogue

So, I received my new September 2007 issue of Vogue yesterday, and I have to say, it was a big fat five pound disappointment. It's become a bit too formulaic in the past few years for my taste but there were two bright spots.

A small blurb and photo, shown above, from Lulu de Kwiatkowski's book of collages, Lulu from AMMO Books, which is composed of family photographs, Marche aux Puces treasures, and her own journal musings. The real inspiration she says came from a tumultuous romance with the man with whom is she now engaged!

The second bright spot was a profile of Luke and Julie Janklow's Greenwich Village home by Plum Sykes. The article itself is a total puff piece and what would you expect considering that Mr. Janklow's father's company, Janklow & Nesbit is Plum's literary agency. But the photos are the show-stopper. From the white marbled 60-foot drawing room with it's pieces by Jansen, Karl Springer, and Vladimir Kagan pictured above to the hand painted Gracie wallpaper in Mrs. Janklow's office.

I have to say it's pretty spectacular and mostly self-decorated. I love the juxtaposition of the modern desk and chair against the chinoiserie wallpaper.

The mercury-mirrored wall in the dining room below is illuminated by a Danish candelabra and antique gold sconces.

I wish there had been larger photos of the garden designed by Miranda Brooks. There are a few small ones in the montage below, as well as, a photo of Mrs. Janklow's Perspex and glass dressing room/closet. The inspiration for which came from Joan Crawford's in the movie Mommie Dearest and the Christian Louboutin store on Gansevoort Street. I'm assuming though, she meant the store on Horatio Street since there is no store on Gansevoort Street.

I love the mix of modern and antique furnishings but then again I would expect nothing less from this fashionable yet literary couple. Too bad the rest of the magazine wasn't as interesting as their home.

Photos by François Halard

19 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

What a very fabulous blog this is - I found you at Patricia Gray's. I look forward to reading more.

dianamuse said...

I share your 'bummer' reactions to the gargantuan 9/07 Vogue. What a lot of same old. I'm loving the bits and pieces of insider scoopiness that you offer in your commentary. (Perhaps V should bring you in as an editorial consultant.)

That dining room. Wow.

Love your blog. I'll be back.

The Peak of Chic said...

I'm still waiting on my copy! I am anxious to get it now that you've shown us these images.

Cote de Texas said...

Habit: do you think you didn't like the V because you're more into home than clothes or not? Or are you more fashionable than Vogue? I myself hate clothes and love home. I would be happy in a uniform. I do have one though. Every day I wear a white linen shirt, sleeveless t under it and tight white jeans. Sometimes the linen color of the shirts changes, then I wear a striped t under it. In winter, it goes to black and khaki. Lovely. ha

Joni

Habitually Chic said...

Joni, you crack me up! Don't you worry, I'm definitely just as obsessed by fashion as I am with design. I actually stopped by subscription to Vogue because I had to have it the minute it hit the newstand and couldn't wait for my copy to arrive via mail. I used to love it but I've just become so bored by it. I mean, how many time do we need to read about Sally Singer on a diet or some ridiculous ranbling story from Andre Leon Talley.

I will say though that I love their website. I think they should incorporate more of Candy Pratts Price's 10 Best Dressed Lists in the magazine. They're more exciting than what the magazine has now.

Love that you have a uniform too! I'm more of a black dress kind of gal myself ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am so loooving your blog! I moved back to LA from NYC six months ago so you help me stay connected. I have to comment on the epidemic of magazines hitting the newstand before us subsribers get it. I had to restrain myself from buying the new Domino, no more subscribing for moi, what a waste!! Best, Kelly

Alice Olive said...

I'm now anxiously awaiting Vogue too!

What about Elle's "new" look? I was disappointed in Lindsay Lohan (before the whole DUI thing - she's just not anything to fashion or style) but it was interesting to see the editorials as I did think they were a departure from Gilles' traditional style. I love his 'on the street' shoots but it was great to see different photographers and a different treatment to the magazine layout.

I also love the 10 best dressed on Vogue's website! Agree - should be incorporated into the mag. While the usual suspects are there, there's a smattering of the 'un'usual - which is nice to see.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I always look forward to the Big Fall Bible and am sad to hear it is no good this month. Thanks for saving me the trouble--less clothes for me to covet this way.

Habitually Chic said...

Oh no! Brilliant Asylum I don't want to dissuade you from buying Vogue. I'm a picky New Yorker so you should make up your own mind about it! Who know, you just might like it!

Habitually Chic said...

Alice Olive,

I haven't received my new ELLE yet but I'm anxious to see what Joe Zee has done. I LOVE him! I actually told him so once at a party. Remember Vitals for women? I thought it was really well done so I hope he can work his magic with ELLE.

patriciagrayinc.com said...

Thanks for sharing these pictures from the new Vogue. It isn't out on the newstands here yet. Unfortunately we are a week behind here in Canada. I am glad that Maryam has found your blog through mine. Keep up the great posts, I always enjoy checking in with you.
Kind Regards...Patricia

Habitually Chic said...

Patricia,

Thanks for all your lovely comments! One of the great things about living in NYC is that everything comes here first!

P.S. The Men's Vogue post is for you ;-)

laura said...

Hey - totally agree on everything you said about vogue including the piece on the janklow's home - it's the only saving grace for that issue.
In fact the reason i found your blog is because i was searching online to try to find mercury-mirror wall tiles like they have in the dining room. No luck so far - do you have any idea? I've just moved to NY from London so don't really know where to find much.

Habitually Chic said...

Hi Laura! Welcome to New York! I'm so glad you found my blog and I hope I can help you. We use a few mirror vendors in New York for vintage/antique mirrors so one of them must sell mercury mirror wall tiles. I'll do some research on Monday at work and see what I can find out for you.

laura said...

Thanks so much - that would be wonderful. Do u think too tacky to put in a bedroom? i thought it might make the room look more spacious while the mercury effect would prevent seeing myself from every angle but not entirely sure..

Habitually Chic said...

Hi Laura, I found a vendor and I'm going to order some samples for you.

I think it would be on one wall, like behind the headboard. It could act as an extention of the headboard. But I'd have to see the space. Email me at habituallychic@gmail.com.

style court said...

Love the image with the chinoiserie wallpaper. Totally agree about the juxtaposition with the modern desk. Thanks for posting it!

Anne said...

I completely agree with you, I loved the original design of her house. the richness, simplicity and organic qualities really appealed. I loved that quote too, I tore out that page and it's on my wall =).

Anonymous said...

Did you see Julie Janklow's restaurant in Vogue this month? It looks so cute! I can't wait to go.

Related Posts with Thumbnails