Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Art and Homes of Hunt Slonem

I'd never heard of Hunt Slonem until I read the most fascinating article about him, Southern Gothic, in the New York Times. Mr. Slonem is a New York artist whose passion for art and mansions is also chronicled in the new book “Pleasure Palace: The Art and Homes of Hunt Slonem.”

The word eccentric was created for artists like Hunt Slonem who "rents 30,000 square feet — about 80 rooms — of former office space in the West Village neighborhood in New York City, which houses 35 birds, tropical plants and wildly colored areas. The yearly rent is about $300,000, a spectacular deal in New York." You have to check out the video tour of his home on Men.Style.com!

His style is not even close to mine but his story and his love of old homes is admirable and interesting. If it weren't for people like Hunt Slonem, the world would be a very boring and probably beige place. I look forward to buying his book and learning even more about this colorful character.








Photos by Fred R. Conrad

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a facinating gentleman Hunt Slomen is,most interesting!

Thank you for sharing,I had read the article about him in the NYT and now here.

The video was a pleasure to see,I loved all of the wonderful colours he has used around the spaces and the paintings well,just fantastic!

I am going to order the book now!

RJH dl H

Anonymous said...

Oops,I misspelt Mr.Slonem's name,guess I was typing too fast!

RJH dl H

Habitually Chic said...

Anonymous, I'm so glad you find Mr. Slonem as fascinating as I did. Hope you enjoy the book and no worries about the misspelling!

beachbungalow8 said...

cool find! love his shirley partridge suit.

Brilliant Asylum said...

What fun to be rich, prolific and CRAZY. So fun to learn about this gent. Thanks for the introduction.

The Peak of Chic said...

I remember reading this article and being fascinated by him and his homes. I like his paintings too!

dianamuse said...

You are so skilled at digging around and uncovering great finds!! The Times article on Mr. Slonem just slays me. What a character. Look forward to the upcoming book.

I've been away for a while. Great to be back and catch up on your fab blog!

Habitually Chic said...

Thanks everyone! I love anyone who's passionate about something even if they are crazy...actually, I think I like them better if they're a little crazy ;-)

Mélanie said...

I love that place . i'm sure there are ghosts !! I'm kidding . The front door whaouh I love it

Suzy said...

I remember reading about him in an old edition of Elle Decor. You're right, eccentric is the perfect word for him. I think he owns an old cotton plantaion home in Louisianna (?) and its just stunning. I am wondering though, whatever happened to the days of poor struggling artists - how does one afford $300K a year on rent? even if it is a good deal in NY...

Anonymous said...

Yes, Hunt Slonem has been featured in ELLE DECOR more than once, I think.

Habitually Chic said...

Suzy, He does have a few plantations down south. Apparently, he does very well as an artist ;-)

Habitually Chic said...

If anyone knows what issue of ELLE Decor Hunt Slonem was featured in, please let me know. I have a lot of back issues but I don't remember a feature about him. Thanks!

Heddy said...

Good Afternoon,
What a delight to find this entry about Hunt Slonem. My Mother emailed me the article in May,but I didn't save it.
Last night I tried to search the NYT, but no luck..... for this very article!!! I did see a couple of his paintings (installed )in the House Beautiful magazine.....I think. They were stunning. But you out did yourself, with the additional link to his very office!!
Did you leave a comment for Sarah Jennings blog? If so.....I think she needs some inspiration in a Hunt Slonem way...for her entry.
Thank you so much! You saved a lot of "hunting" for me!
Heddy

Natasha said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/garden/31hunt.html?_r=1&ref=style&oref=slogin

here is the link to the NY Times article.

Related Posts with Thumbnails