Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Thoroughly Modern Milly


Michelle Smith, the designer behind the clothing line Milly, has created an an apartment that is just as fun and flirty as her clothes. I love going to Bergdorf Goodman on a Saturday and checking out all the fun dresses in bold patterns and colors and I really loved checking out Michelle's 1920's home in the October 2007 issue of Elle Decor.

It almost seems like a bigger more grown up version of the apartment of Jessie Randall and Brian Murphy of Loeffler Randall. Michelle describes the mood as young and sexy, "like moving into Grandma's apartment and making it modern and whimsical, but still classic." She also said she knew it was the perfect apartment when she realized the Christian Louboutin shop was just across the street. Spoken like a true fashionista!


I love the windows in the living room! What a treat to have so much light in the city! The wonderful brass and crystal chandelier from the 1950's is fantastic and the scale of the furniture and the art is absolutely perfect!

The vintage chairs above are upholstered in a yellow and white zebra-stripe silk by Jim Thompson and flank the marble fireplace topped with a 1940's mirror.


The dining room has no windows but with the reflection of the light on the golden floral wallpaper, Asuka from Osborne & Little, it definitely doesn't look dark or dreary.


It's hard to tell in this photograph, but the hallway wallpaper is David Hicks Hexagon, one of my all time favorites and one that is very popular with the fashionable crowd.


I love the all white kitchen outfitted with subway tiles. It's definitely reminiscent of pre-war apartment kitchens with their butler's pantries but cleaner and more modern. I love art in a kitchen. In fact, I have a little painting above my stove. I say why not?!



The common thread in the apartment is the "unexpected flourish or sparkle." It's something that can be said of her clothing designs as well. So many Milly designs are classic but with a twist, like shiny gold buttons or a fun bold print. I think it's so fun to see how fashion designers translate their design sense at home and it's clear that her experience working at such venerable houses such as Hermes, Dior and Louis Vuitton have made their mark as well. In fact, I think I might like her apartment more than I like her dresses now!

Photos by Roger Davies

16 comments:

Brilliant Asylum said...

So many fab fashion houses you have posted. This may be my favorite (though DVF is hard to beat). Great posts all week long!

And of course I love the "Milly" label as that is also my name (though I spell mine with an "ie"). I just bought a cute top the other day and I am waiting for the weather to get cold enough to wear it.

katiedid said...

OK, I love everything about this apartment! I love the yellow zebra chairs, and that light fixture in the Living Room is fantastic! The kithcen, the bathrooms,I love it all. Love, love, love.

Mrs. Blandings said...

This is a great layout - and post - thanks, I missed it in Vogue. I have the O&L paper in a file, just waiting for the right spot - maybe inside my closet when it is finally re-done. Oh, and Milly - guess where she's from...yup, KC.

Habitually Chic said...

Millie, aka Brilliant Asylum, it's so exciting to know your real name now! It's going to be chilly here in NYC this weekend so maybe it will be cool enough to wear your cute new top soon! Fingers crossed for you!

Habitually Chic said...

Katie, so glad you love this apartment as much as I do. Isn't it great to find a place you feel you could move into and not change a thing?!

Habitually Chic said...

Mrs. Blandings, I LOVE the O&L wallpaper too. I was thinking of using it as a "headboard" since I don't even have an extra 4 inches for a real headboard. By the way, the apartment is featured in the new October 2007 ELLE Decor not Vogue so definitely make sure you pick it up!

Cote de Texas said...

Loved this too! and I love her clothes too, I just discovered them and had recently shown them to my daughter for her to check out, being the fashionista that she is! This apartment is just fun, there is no other word for it. Doesn't she look like someone you would love to be friends with?

Joni

Suzy said...

What a fab apartment, I can't wait to get my hands on the new Elle Decor now. And I have to say if I was looking at an apartment that was across the road from Christian Louboutin boutique I'd jump on it too!

Jackie Von Tobel said...

Great apartment - I love the picture of her in front of the windows. She looks so young. I'd love to wear her dresses if I were 30 again! How do these bright young things achieve so much success so early? I'm still working on it. It blows my mind.
Jackie

Mrs. Blandings said...

A feeling that can only be defined as "rage" comes over me when I realize other people have their subscriptions before I have mine. I'm not kidding. It makes me say things to my husband like "I am going to write a letter!" But still I wait. Maybe today...

Habitually Chic said...

Mrs. Blandings, I feel your pain. That's why I stopped subscribing. The magazines are the newstands in NYC long before I ever got them in the mail. I'd end up buying one and then giving my other copy away. Very annoying!

Tracy said...

I love the apartment too! Credit should be given to its fantastic designer, Shaun Jackson of Shaun Jackson, Inc.

Alice Olive said...

All beautiful. I especially love the dining room. The wallpaper is beautiful and knowing there are no windows, makes the room somehow seem like a hidden gem.

Amy said...

ooh, it's a beauty! and so is your site. i am loving that massive chandelier!

Habitually Chic said...

Alice Olive,

I'm loving all the little jewel rooms I seem to be seeing lately, whether they are painted dark or wallpapered. They are such a treat!

Habitually Chic said...

Amy, thanks for the sweet words and for stopping by! Doesn't the chandelier remind you of something from the Metropolitan Opera House. It does to me anyway. I think it's fantastic!

Related Posts with Thumbnails