Monday, October 29, 2007

Chic Designer: Antonia Hutt

I realized recently that I haven't been focusing on interiors as much so I thought it was about time I profiled the home of one of my favorite interior designers, Antonia Hutt. Or at least what her L.A. home looked like in May 2001 House Beautiful magazine. I've held onto the tear sheets for years because I loved her use of color. It's funny that Antonia Hutt claims not to have a favorite color since her home is filled with orange and my home contains not much orange at all even though it is my favorite color.

It seems like nowadays, everyone has a Saarinen table and matching chairs but what really makes this set special is the blue leather cushions. I think the color is really beautiful against the white in her breakfast room. The Tommy Parzinger coffee set isn't too shabby either. And the "painting" is actually a rubbing of the tombstone of a medieval Scottish knight. How unique is that?!

I'm sure most people would never dare pair purple and orange but in the right tones, it's very complimentary. I also love how she placed the sofas back to back which actually make the columns part of the design instead of an inconvenience.

I love the painting Tangerine by Ray Richardson above the fireplace, one of the first Antonia Hutt ever bought, is a wonderful focal point and another use of orange.

The orange plastic on the 1960's dining room chairs is yet another pop of orange and compliments the blue banquette. The photograph of what first appears to be a tree in winter is actually a photograph of a building being demolished and is another unique piece of art in the home.

Antonia says the cream lacquered buffet by Tommy Parzinger reminds her of a Chanel handbag and is the perfect base for the 1970's aluminum lamps with orange shades. The tall mirror is a great vertical accent. If you notice, a lot of the art is tall and vertical and draws your eye upward. Even the shades in the bedroom below are another example.

I don't love the custom coral coverlet and shames on the bed. It's just not my style but other than that, I could move in tomorrow and be very happy. And that's my idea of great design. And what could be better than an orange filled home right before Halloween?!

Photos by John Coolidge

15 comments:

kate (pm) said...

I have the same tearsheets saved, too! It then was suppose to be inspiration when I moved into my place 5 years ago! I have fair amount of grey-ish purple, but not so many hits of the orange. Hmmm.. seeing make I wish I had stayed more focus! I still love this interior (but not crazy on the bedspread either).

Suzy said...

I love the Haines slipper chairs and the Parzinger console. She has fabulous taste in furniture. I have heard of her but not really paid much attention to her work so I'll have to check out her portfolio online for some inspiration!

estelle said...

I discover your blog minutes ago. We bought a new house, I'm already dreaming of decoration, inspired by your beautifuls pics of interiors. (sorry for my english).

dianamuse said...

Splashes of orange (and, occasionally, full-on waves) will get me every time. Such a great Ray Richardson.

Alice Olive said...

So elegant.

I love the two sofas, back to back - you're right, such a clever way of incorporating the columns into the whole room.

A (somewhat related) change of subject... I laughed when I read your comment on orange and then when Antonia had paired together orange and purple. I was really into purple a few years ago and often paired it with orange accents - I thought the two strong colours went well together. I have since phased out purple in my wardrobe but not the orange. It's still a colour I love to use to make a splash.

Habitually Chic said...

Kate, I had a feeling someone else was going to say they saved these tear sheets. It's such an inspiring home. Maybe you will have to experiment with adding some orange to your own home now.

Habitually Chic said...

Suzy, you definitely have to check out her other work. She has that great LA design style that I love.

Habitually Chic said...

Estelle, so glad you found me. I hope I can continue to inspire you and your new house decoration!

Habitually Chic said...

Diana, it's funny that most people would never choose orange as a favorite color except those in the design world. I love it!

Habitually Chic said...

Alice, purple is such a strong color for fall. You may have to integrate it back into your wardrobe. I love it mixed with charcoal grey!

Pink Wallpaper said...

i love the lacquered chest with the orange lamp shades.

Alice Olive said...

That's so funny - I just bought a dress for fall which is a royal purple - I am in love with it!!

design for mankind. said...

I LOOOOVE Antonia Hutt. I have a tear sheet from Print magazine (or was it How?), detailing a room she had designed for her dogs. It was the most adorable room in the entire world, and I so badly want to recreate it!

I'll have to dig it up for you... you'd LOVE.

tonypetersart said...

I actually worked for the Mendenhall Gallery and got to deliver the painting "Tangerine" by Ray Richardson. It was really cool to see Antonia's home, inspiring.

Anonymous said...

If you like what you see with Toni's work look at the source of it all: Vincent Jacquart in Los Angeles

Related Posts with Thumbnails