Sunday, November 18, 2007

Duquette Inspired?

I was going to promise that this is my last Tony Duquette related post but I don't think I can make any guarantees. There is just so much to talk about where Mr. Duquette is concerned. I came across the photo above of one of his nameless interiors and I was struck by the framed Asian painting or wallpaper on the left side of the room and the pagoda and vases of pink flowers that stand on the table beneath it. I kept thinking I had seen something very similar and then I realized it was on the cover of Michael S. Smith's Elements of Style book. I know that are not a perfect match but it's funny how much they looked alike. Michael's book is actually one design book I don't own so I'm not sure if he admits to a Duquette inspiration or if it was just a coincidence. Either way, I think it's interesting and inspiring none the less.

4 comments:

Rowena said...

I'd thought the book cover was unforgettable, now that I read your post, I think Mr. Smith definitely took inspiration -- I'm sure you noticed he also placed tall pagodas and a pink-hued flower arrangement!

A, said...

I've just discovered your blog and I must say that I've fallen for it already. The pictures you post are just amazing and so inspirational! I'll definitely keep reading.

RJH dl H said...

HC,I think that you can't post enough on Tony Duquette and his magical work and you do it so very well!It is most enjoyable reading and looking at the wonderful photographs.

I knew I had read a wonderful article once about Sharon Stone and Tony Duquette and they both looked so terrific in the photoshoots,I spent a few hours in my library and hunted for the article,I found it and it is the Town&Country issue of October 1999 and if you can find it somewhere, get it as it is super,you will enjoy the story of how they build a friendship over the back fence!

dianamuse said...

I am LOVING your Duquette posts. (After seeing your BG-windows images, I thought better of attempting some TD posting myself. I'll leave it to you!!) The Michael Smith observation is interesting. Neither he nor his co-author, Diane Dorrans Saeks, formally acknowledge TD's influence in the book - at least not in either the acknowledgments or index sections. But how could Smith's glamorous/historical/contemporary sensibilities NOT be influenced by the irrepressible Mr. Duquette?

Related Posts with Thumbnails