Monday, December 3, 2007

Elliott Puckette and Hugo Guinness

I would be immensely thankful if someone gave me a painting by Elliott Puckette or Hugo Guinness for Christmas. I think either would make an excellent gift but since I don't see that actually happening this year, I thought the least I could do is write about them.

First, Ms. Puckette is Southern, adheres to a strict schedule everyday and creates the most beautiful abstract paintings using gesso and washes of colored inks, on which she scores elaborate flowing lines using a razor blade. There is something poetic and lyrical about her work. It's at the same time calming but yet full of movement. I love her paintings and many other people do too. She has had a sellout show at Paul Kasmin Gallery and her work keeps popping up in magazines as seen below.



Her husband Hugo Guinness on the other hand is British, from the famous family of brewers, paints when the mood strikes and creates whimsical lino cut prints that can be found exclusively at John Derian. The dogs are my favorites and even though the prices have risen in the last few years, they still make the perfect gift and also come in vintage frames.

Even though their artist styles are different they somehow compliment each other and look great together in their home in Brooklyn which you can check out in the new Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People book. Not quite as fun as finding a painting under the tree but we can all dream. Isn't that what holiday wish lists are all about?

Josie Natori's Apartment from Elle Decor October 2007

Mark Cunningham's home from Elle Decor May 2007

Lucy and James Danzinger home from May 2007 Domino

Pen and Ink Drawing from Domino September 2006

20 comments:

annechovie said...

Great Post, HC! I have been spotting the work of Puckette and Guinness all over for a few years. Very cool that they are both so creative - I bet their kids have a double shot of artistic gifting. Puckette's work looks like Calligraphy outside the bounds of the alphabet - very unique and graceful.

Alice Olive said...

I agree. Ms. Puckette's work is beautiful. To me, it's unstructured and so delicate. Beautiful - thanks for the post! And fingers crossed for your Wish List!!

Topsy Turvy said...

I've been a huge fan of her work for some time. And his work shows a sly take on everyday objects, with a little British whimsy thrown in. I love his new botanicals - just because I love botanicals.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Oh, yes. I've had Puckett on my wish list for a while. Thanks for the post - a great reminder.

Habitually Chic said...

Anechovie, so glad you enjoyed the post and the art. I love that two creatives have come together still manage to create great art and have a normal family.

Habitually Chic said...

Alice, I agree that Elliott's work is delicate too. I always think they look so dreamy and calming too. I love her work!

Habitually Chic said...

Topsy Turvy, the botanicals are great too but the dogs are still my favs ;-)

Habitually Chic said...

Mrs. Blandings, I'l keep my fingers crossed that you receive an Elliott Puckette from your wish list too!

Jane Flanagan said...

I love this post and all these images. Isn't Puckette the most perfectly playful name! Her work is amazing.

Topsy Turvy said...

I haven't seen the dogs ...
I'll have to keep an eye out : )

franki durbin said...

oh these are yummy (and so is that fireplace at the bottom). but now we both want one for a gift this season. boo! maybe we can start a charity between the two of us and ask generous art investors to chip in ;)

Things That Inspire said...

I recently discovered Puckette, and I think her work is so incredible.

Brilliant Asylum said...

The top piece is amazing. I would love to have that for my house! As for Hugo, anyone who hangs regularly with Wes Anderson and the Spades is cool in my book.

Habitually Chic said...

Jane, you gotta love fun Southern names. I think I could look at her art all day!

Habitually Chic said...

Franki, that sounds like a great idea! They invest in the art but we get to live with it. Interesting idea!

Habitually Chic said...

Things that Inspire, her work seems to be everywhere but yet she has managed to stay under the radar which I kind of admire.

Habitually Chic said...

BA, I feel like they are so cool they don't even realize how cool they are, kind of like like Wes Anderson. I love the story about how he wanted to film scenes for The Royal Tannenbaums in their house but it was too narrow so they recreated it a few blocks away!

wutsua said...

Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Badcock Furniture

Anonymous said...

stupid

Miranda said...

If you're looking for more Hugo Guinness art, he's recently created a limited-edition series of botanical prints for Vogue, on sale now at the Conde Nast Store.

http://www.condenaststore.com/ProdList.aspx?prodcode=860

Four botanical designs, framed, 100 prints of each design, at $300 each. You can see the images listed in the index of the December issue of Vogue. These are probably going to go fast, so I'd get in there now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails