Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Chic in Chicago

Thanks to a recommendation from Decorno, I checked out the wonderful blog Brown Turtleneck Sweater who recently profiled the assistants to Nate Berkus. The duo were featured in the new issue of Chicago Home + Garden which led me to the website where that story wasn't up yet but where I did find the super chic Chicago condo of architect David Ries.

David reconfigured the walls as any architect would be want to do and opened the space up to give it a more expansive feel and a view of the lake and Wrigley Field.
The article touts the condo as a small space but compared to New York standards, it's practically a McMansion. I think the best part is the "white space" that gives your eye a place to rest. Judicious editing is the hardest thing to get right in interior design and it's something I'm struggling with right now in my shoebox sized apartment since I have a penchant for collecting.

Lying in bed at night, Ries’s view is of a painting in the living room, “Three Seeds,” by Chicago artist Jenny Miller, a friend. I wish more people took the time to think things through like Reis and how sight lines should be integrated into their design.

"A lover of flea markets, Ries found this painting at the Chicago Antique Market on Randolph Street. Because the canvas is a standard size, he was able to find a perfect frame on the cheap in Artists’ Frame Service’s clearance department." His tablescape reminds me of those of Ron Marvin and are just as perfectly composed.

David reconfigured the apartment so that the living room opens onto the bedroom with French doors, he made two small spaces feel like one big one.

The antique scooter on the kitchen wall can serve as a shelf and adds a bit of whimsy. When extra seating isn’t needed a chair becomes a plant stand and the grasscloth looking wallpaper creates another focal point and defines the kitchen/dining area.

Inexpensively framed mirrors make real impact when hung in a grid pattern above a rustic dining table the folds down to conserve space and out to accommodate a large dinner party.

I love this condo because it's not too cluttered and looks like it would appeal to men and women. I hope Small Spaces, Big Style finds David Reis soon because he certainly has created great style in a so-called small space. And he definitely makes me want to find a bigger apartment soon!

Oh, and kudos to Chicago Home + Garden for their great website. I will definitely be adding them to my list of chic websites and you should too!

16 comments:

Alice Olive said...

This is beautiful. I especially like the shot with the Jenny Miller painting "Three Seeds". Dare I say it reminds me of Georgia O'Keeffe? Beautiful colours and brush strokes. Complements the room perfectly.

Thanks for the recommendation to Chicago Home + Garden too!

Topsy Turvy said...

You're so right about the judicious editing. That's something I'm struggling with right now too. When you look at great interiors, you realize what restraint it takes to pull off a wonderful room - you know that room you see and it's like the clouds part & the chorus of angels sing because it's just so spot-on gorgeous with perfect colors and shapes and textures. Then, ok, what do you do with all the 'things' you bought because you loved them?? Maybe all of us design bloggers should pool our 'edits' and open a shop!

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

Wow, what a great post. Good Job and thanks for the Chicago link.

Habitually Chic said...

Alice, I love the Jenny Miller painting too! I can't wait until I have room for a painting that large. It's great. Hope you enjoy Chicago Home + Garden. It seems like a great magazine!

Habitually Chic said...

Topsy Turvy, I have so much stuff in my tiny apartment right now I don't know what to do. I dont want to get a storage space because that just seems like asking for trouble but I don't have the heart to get rid of anything. I guess moving is the next step.

P.S. I would love to open a shop. I think that would be so much fun! But then I would probably just bring home more stuff from work. It's a vicious cycle!

Habitually Chic said...

Liberty Post Editor, I know you will enjoy checking out the Chicago Home + Garden website. I know I did!

Britt said...

Glad you liked the link! It is definitely a regular source of inspiration for me!

barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

Habitually Chic said...

Barb or whoever you are, If you leave one more marketing comment on my blog, I will report you and turn on comment moderation so I can delete all of your comments. Thanks.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

What a fabulous apartment. I so admire people who manage to rotate their collections and not stuff every single thing into one space, like I do. Eeek. Yep, judicious editing - that should be my New Year's resolution....

Habitually Chic said...

Hi Britt, I'm so glad Decorno profiled your site. I look forward to reading you everyday now. I also can't wait until the other story is posted so I can read more about Nate's assistants. Happy New Year!

Habitually Chic said...

Maryam, Maybe I should add editing to my list of resolutions as well. I looked into storage space today and at $100 a month, I'd rather just add that to rent on a new apartment. I keep trying to get of stuff but it's not easy. Good luck to you as well!

Cakespy said...

This is a truly truly killer apartment. He's done a wonderful job, it has given me so many ideas! None I could do with my tiny space, but we can dream, right? So inspiring!

Jordan Cappella said...

David's apartment is fab!

ToKissTheCook said...

Niiice spot- no matter the city, that's just a fabulous place. I love the leather chair with the plant stand and antique scooter mounted in the background. And I love that he appears to have a personal relationship with all of the art on display.

I am now headed to Jayson Home + Garden. You'd have a blast at their site as well.

Carolina Eclectic said...

This is so gorgeous! I only wish I knew what flea market he shops at.

Related Posts with Thumbnails